Sunday, January 8, 2012

Easy French Dip Sammies

Sometimes, aren't you just in the mood for a (really) good sandwich?

I guess it was one of those weekends where I just wanted to take the easy way out.  Instead of a traditional big Sunday family meal (which I guess we usually don't have anyway), I decided a hot sandwich, oozing with cheese - and sauce to dip it in - sounded pretty darn good.  The hubby and I love french dip sandwiches and this quick version seemed it was going to fit the bill.

You may have most of the sandwich ingredients on hand in your kitchen.  Don't you love it when you read through a recipe and realize you have almost everything?!  After all, who wants to go to the grocery store on a Sunday afternoon?  Not this girl - but I did anyway, because I needed roast beef (and we were just intent on eating these sandwiches)!  I will tell you that I splurged a bit on the roast beef.  While I would normally buy packaged meat, I decided that fresh deli-sliced beef would be extra tasty on these sandwiches.  And, I'll tell you a secret...I've NEVER bought sliced meat from the deli before (gasp!).  It was kind of fun pressing the little button and getting my "next in line" ticket.  Anyway...  This recipe can easily make more than a few sandwiches.  So, if you divide the amount I spent on the beef by the number of sandwiches the recipe makes, it turns out my version was fairly frugal after all.

Keep in mind - this recipe makes four sandwiches (or two really stacked ones).  If you are only making two, you can certainly pare down on the amount of roast beef, cheese, etc.  I wouldn't, however, make less of the sauce.  While the original recipe suggested pouring the extra sauce on top of the meat and cheese before serving, we are more of a dipping kind of family.  So, I simply poured the soup/sauce mixture into small bowls for an "au jus" dipping experience.  Now, let's get on with it...

Ingredients:
1 can condensed French Onion soup
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce (I added a little extra - love that stuff!)
3/4 lb thinly sliced deli roast beef
4 hoagie rolls
4 slices provolone cheese, cut in half
1/4 cup drained mild banana pepper rings (optional)














Heat the oven to 400 degrees.  Heat the soup and Worcestershire sauce in a 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.  Once boiling, add desired amount of beef slices and heat through.  You'll want to stir the beef/sauce mixture while it's heating, and you will know it's heated through when the beef goes from pink to brown (not to mention it will be piping hot!).  Divide the beef slices and place onto the hoagie rolls.  Cut each provolone slice in half and place on top of beef.  Place sandwiches on a baking sheet and bake for 3 minutes or until the rolls are toasted and the cheese is nice and melty.  This is the point in the original recipe where you are directed to spoon the remaining soup mixture onto the sandwiches.  If this makes you happy, now's the time to do it.  Otherwise, if you're dippers like us, pour the sauce into bowls for dipping.  Also, if you like mild pepper rings like me, add those on top of the cheese before serving.  They add a nice zing to the sandwich.

That's it!  Hot, cheesy, french dip-type roast beef sandwiches in a flash!  I feel like I cheated with this recipe - it really did taste like it was slow-roasted and simmering all day.  So, I guess, sometimes cheaters really DO win.  :)

Thanks to Campbell's Kitchen for this great dinner idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment