Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Balsamic Glazed Salmon

I admit it - I have a new obsession.  Well, I have a lot of obsessions, but let's just stay focused.  My newest food love is salmon!  Now, let me back up a bit and share a little bit of history.  First, I have NEVER liked salmon, let alone thought about new ways to cook it while lying in bed (seriously).  There was a time when my mother made a salmon loaf and I was made to eat it.  Perhaps this turned me off to it for a few years, give or take twenty-five.  Perhaps you'll remember how much I love Tilapia (read about it here) because of its mild flavor, something salmon is not really known for.  I don't like any sort of fish that has a stronger flavor than what it's been cooked with.  Until now, that is.  You know the old adage that our tastes change as we get older..?  I must be doing a whole lot of getting older, because my tastes sure are changing!

After hesitantly biting into one of the most delicious forkfulls of salmon while at the Grand Luxe Cafe with my hubby in Chicago, I really didn't want to admit to him how much I liked it (it was his meal, after all, and I knew he would offer to share more - but, I might have eaten it all).  It was topped with a miso glaze, was light in flavor and melt-in-your-mouth amazing.  I've been obsessed (and surprised) ever since.

One of things I've learned in this short process is that fresh fish isn't supposed to taste fishy.  Really.  That's the secret and it's a pretty good one to know.  I'm sure you've seen those gigantic pink fillets of salmon in the seafood case.  Are you as intimidated by them as I am?  I have never known how to handle, store or cook fresh salmon, so I took it easy on myself and bought fresh - but frozen - Atlantic salmon from the local bulk food store.  The bag came with perfect portion-sized fillets and seemed easy enough to prepare.  Score!  Now, could I actually cook it and have it come out edible..?  Indeed, it was a HUGE success.

If you love salmon - or maybe even if you don't - you have to try this easy-to-prepare baked method with its amazing balsamic glaze.  Honestly, I couldn't get enough of it (and that's a lot, coming from an historically known 'fish hater').

Ingredients:
2 portion-sized salmon fillets (approx. 4 oz)
salt & pepper to taste
olive oil (or non-stick) spray - I use olive oil in a Misto sprayer
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, finely minced or grated

Directions:
ONE: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Meanwhile, prepare glaze by combining the vinegar, syrup, mustard and garlic in a small saucepan, whisking to thoroughly mix.  Bring to a boil over medium heat and then reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes or until thick.  Remove from heat and cool while fish is cooking.

TWO: Place salmon fillets in a small baking dish sprayed with olive oil or non-stick cooking spray and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.  I did additionally spray the top of the salmon with a little olive oil spray, just to brown the top a little while baking.  For a 4 oz fillet, cook 12-15 minutes or until it flakes easily.  The fillets we had were actually more like 6 ounces, and I baked according to package instructions, which was 15-20 minutes.

THREE: Once cooked through and flaky, remove salmon and let stand for 5 minutes.  Slide your perfectly prepared salmon fillet onto a plate with vegetables - I served ours with edamame and sweet potato.  Drizzle the balsamic glaze over salmon (and vegetables, if desired) and enjoy!

In addition to all the great taste of this dish, you get a good dose of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids.  Salmon is also known to be a fish that contains lower amounts of mercury than its other swimming friends, so it's totally safe to eat twice a week.  Sweet!

Pin It!

Recipe adapted from Giada, one of my favorite Italian chefs.

No comments:

Post a Comment