Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Hummus Chicken Salad

In my search for a healthy alternative to mayo-laden chicken salad, I was tipped off to the idea of using hummus as the base.  Are you kidding me?!  What a great idea (and one I wish I would have come up with all on my own)!  This recipe couldn't be more simple - in preparation and in goodness!  Hummus adds the perfect amount of moisture and a super yummy, garlicky kick, while the apples and grapes pair up for a sweet twist.  Oh, and don't forget the English muffin!  By choosing the whole wheat variety, you can keep it healthy and those little rounds provide the perfect portion size of carbs for your meal.  I'm in love with this lunch idea! 

Oh, and did I mention...  I cheat a bit in this recipe (what, me?!).  While this would certainly be delicious with cubed, grilled chicken, I just didn't have the time for it on this particular day.  Nonetheless, the canned chicken breast lends itself to a perfectly tasty, quick protein source for an incredible open-faced sandwich.  Now, let's get to it (because I'm getting hungry)!

Ingredients:














1 English muffin - I prefer mine toasted because, remember, I'm a crunch lover
1/2 cup canned, chunk chicken breast - drained and separated/shredded
2 tbsp hummus - the garlic would be great, but classic is just as lovely
1/4 cup red grapes, halved
1/4 apple, cut into chunks
3-4 almonds, coarsely chopped

While I did forget the almonds in the picture of ingredients, they are an essential part of this recipe.  You could definitely use another healthy nut like walnuts, but I always have a lot of raw almonds on hand.  More super crunch (and a heart-healthy fat) sprinkled on top - yes!

Directions:
Drain chicken, put into a bowl and shred with a fork.  Place each half of the English muffin into the toaster and toast to desired crispiness.  While all that's going on, put 2 tablespoons of hummus into the bowl and mix together with the shredded chicken.  Once mixed, add the grapes and apple chunks (a little at a time - no messes!) and mix that in with the chicken/hummus mixture.  When it's all mixed up, divide it evenly and place each delicious heap onto its own half of muffin.  Top with a few chopped almonds and EAT!  Take note: you will probably need a fork along side this sandwich - you won't want to leave any of that goodness on your plate!


If you are watching your carbs a little more carefully, you could serve this up on a fresh bed of baby spinach or crunchy romaine - that would taste terrific too!  And, for those of you who can't live without a little cheese, try sprinkling a little over the top and broiling it - but only for a minute (NOTE: blogger does not assume any responsibility for burnt food coming from the broiler - I don't ever have much luck with that thing!).

When eating this, I want to know if you had the same thought I did - "I can't believe I didn't think about using hummus for chicken salad before - it's delicious!"...?!  Drop me a comment and let me know!

Pin It!

Many thanks to Brian at Seung-ni Fit Club for this brilliant idea!

No comments:

Post a Comment